Saturday, February 8, 2014

National School Counseling Week

When I tell people that I am a school counselor, many will ask me what I do each day.  I used National School Counseling Week as an opportunity to help teachers better understand the role of the school counselor. 

Here are some of the highlights from the week:

 
  • Lego Challenge: I piqued the interest of teachers by putting a vase filled with Legos in the teacher's lounge.  Teachers were asked to estimate the number of Legos in the vase.  A sign above the display said, "School Counselors connect with stakeholders to support student success."  The winning teacher won a $10 Starbucks gift card.
  • Counseling Resource Open House: While my office door is almost always open, I extended a special invitation to teachers to visit my office one day this week.  I had books and games arranged by topic and on display for teachers to browse. This helped teachers to see the various topics that I address with students.  I had treats, ASCA bookmarks, and copies of my resource inventory for teachers to take.  I encouraged teachers to reach out to me if they ever want to borrow any of the resources! 
  • Thank you for making the School Counseling Program BLOOM: On the final day of National School Counseling Week, I had ordered an Edible Arrangement for the teacher's lounge.  I left a note for the teachers thanking them for their support and for making the school counseling program BLOOM.  This was certainly a big hit!
Before leaving work on Friday, one of the teachers said, "Thank you so much for the fruit and for everything this week.  I enjoyed it and learned something new."  I'm going to count that one as a success and look forward to activities that reach students and parents next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment