Thursday, February 13, 2014

Organization and Orange Juice

When I was in high school, I came home and told my mom that I lost my coat at school and needed a new one. We looked everywhere for that coat, but it had just disappeared and my mom bought me a new coat.  When I cleaned out my locker in June, I found the coat (along with many other "missing" items).

 I know how important organization skills are in high school, college, and the world of work.  I am lucky enough to work with a group of 6th grade students on Monday mornings to develop organization habits early so that they are set up for success.  In order to make it fun, I serve orange juice and give out organization supplies as prizes for surprise data points, like punctuality or homework completion.



Here is an overview of how I make it fun and effective.

Week 1: In the initial session, students learn the purpose, discuss the ground rules, complete a pretest, and play Name That School Supply!  Having all of the necessary supplies is the first step in getting organized.  I wrapped various school supplies and taped a hint to the outside.  For example, mechanical pencils were wrapped with this hint on the outside: Make sure you are always prepared and stay sharp. When you're sharp and focused, you'll be able to show your Brain Power and do your best. 

Week 2: In the second session, students hear from older students in the school about why organization is important in the seventh and eight grade and as they prepare for high school.  The older students had great tips about taking the time to put papers in the correct place at the end of class or when homework has been completed.  Students then work on a check list or binder reminder to help them keep their binders organized.






Week 3: In this session, students put a laminated copy of the binder reminder in the front of their binders.  They have an opportunity to practice using the binder reminder to toss out old papers and put papers in the appropriate tab or folder. To add some joy factor, we shake organized binders to make sure nothing falls out!  Half of the students earned a prize this week for improving their homework percentages.

Week 4: Students have more organization time during this session and also discuss how to use close out time (the end of class) efficiently and effectively.  Throughout the week, I visit classroom to help students apply the skills that they learned in the group and maintain organization throughout the week.

Week 5: As we prepare to terminate the group, students have 5 minutes of individual organization time and learn how to stay organized outside of school.  We know that a clean, quiet place at home is essential for students to complete homework, study, and stay organized.  We also know that students have different living situations that make this a challenge.  Students work with a partner to determine how they can create a space at home that helps them get and stay organized.

Week 6: This is the week of the post test and celebration!  Orange juice is accompanied by other delicious breakfast foods.


Here is a before and after shot of one of my newly organized students!  Let's hope his binder stays that way!



1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I love these ideas- especially the shaking the binder and finding a quiet place at home for homework.

    ReplyDelete